Monday, April 21, 2008

Cadillac Mountain


Yesterday Michael and I drove down to Mount Desert Island and up the summit of Cadillac Mountain. I had never been up there and Michael insisted that it was a necessity for anyone in Maine. (It helps to remind Mainers why they live here.) It was such an amazing sight; we were over the clouds! I have not been over the clouds since I flew over the Atlantic Ocean (7 years ago). The air was thinner and the wind was blowin' fierce, but it was such a refreshing experience. A shot of nature to a withered arm and from my fingertips the blossoms follow.

These moments really are necessary in our young lives. It is so easy to burden ourselves with the frenzy and fever of our modern society, where we barely register the faces we meet, the names we hear, the hands we shake. It is crucial to remember from whence we came and, even though we might not all have a belief as to why we are here, many of us agree on what we should do while we're here: love, laugh, gasp the great air.

Yesterday Michael and I took advantage of the gift of our bodies and our eyes and witnessed a true heaven in nature.

We capped off the evening with an old Michael Caine/Christopher Reeve movie called "Deathtrap." Wow. I don't even know how to explain this movie. It was very strange and the blurb that boasted hairpin twists did not lie. However, the plot was very repetitive and the music was just plain awful. However, it was great to see Christopher Reeve when he was younger. What a vibrant man...he and his wife's story is so very sad. *shakes head* It just goes to show how quickly life can change.

I am so grateful today for my life, my man, my friends, my home, my other home, my writing and my world. I know! It's Monday and I'm giving thanks! (Give me a couple hours and I'll recant of this madness.)

No comments: