Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Long Birthday Weekend


What a great weekend! On Friday, my parents and my sister April's family came down for April and I's birthday weekend. Her birthday was the 26th and mine was yesterday. Friday night was a blast! My parents brought down a gas grill for Mike and I; what a great addition to our deck! The weather was beautiful and we were able to enjoy some steaks and beer/wine while the sun left. We brought the "party" inside and Mike played guitar for my family. He fell in love with Isabelle when she tried to play the guitar herself; they developed quite the relationship over the weekend.


The night seemed too short and Mike and I were sad to see them leave for their hotel. The baby had been a charm all day though and she needed some serious sleeptime. I couldn't believe what a wonderful little girl she is; she entertains herself and brings a smile to everyone's face in the mean time. What a precious little girl she is.


Saturday morning we had breakfast at the Howard Johnson's and then went to the mall/Kohl's/Linens 'n Things for some serious shopping. My mom and dad gave me some birthday money, so I was able to pick up some summer shirts, a pair of shorts and some shoes for myself. It felt good to treat myself a little bit. Financial strains have caused such stress that it felt good to let the money fall from my hands for a morning.


I was finally able to bring my family to Paddy Murphy's, my favorite restaurant, an Irish pub in downtown Bangor. Although the service was not as exceptional as usual, their food never disappoints! My parents loved the music and atmosphere and were very impressed with the food portions and quality. Some recommendations for any one who is able to support this local business:


if you're a beef-eater, try the Guinness Burger.

if you're a chicken-eater, try the Bistro Chicken Wrap.

if you're a sandwich-eater, try the Paddy's Club (my personal favorite; their garlic mayo is pretty much a sensual experience. How can mayo be sensual? I don't know. In this case, it just is.)


We headed back to Mike and I's apartment and lightly snacked and drank for the rest of the evening. It was so refreshing to have my family at my new home and it was really encouraging to see that my parents approved of our place. They loved how we are near the water and are isolated from the town/city. They couldn't stop talking about how desperately they wanted to move down. I hope that eventually the talk turns into action, because I definitely feel more complete with my family. And Isabelle is pretty much the best thing that's ever happened to me. I think it's close to motherlove (but how would I know? At least I know it's strong).


I was sad to see them go on Sunday morning. Even though I will be going up in two weeks for my graduation, it still felt too far in the future. I miss them already.


The weekend was definitely better in general than my actual birthday (but what is Time anyway? I'm just going to say my birthday was Saturday *smiles*). The weather went downhill and it was cold and rainy. I was overtired from my weekend and took a power nap. Mike and I went to Applebee's and had a good meal and, in the evening, went to Kyle's house and watched Good Will Hunting. Watching that movie brings back a lot of memories and makes me feel very good on the inside. Comfortable. Young.


Long post. It feels good to spill out the details of a great weekend. I'm now back at work and thinking about things that need to be done, but the mini-vacation was perfect while it lasted.


And since I had yesterday off, I only have a 4-day work week! Yippee!

(and it rains, in inches).


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Birthday! I wish we could've gotten together. Ah, oh well. Another time, right? :)

It sounds like you had an excellent time of it!