Sunday, April 20, 2008

The pond is flooding! And, in other news: I loved "The Forbidden Kingdom!"


I can't wait to get a digital camera so that I can take pictures of our backyard and make it ten times easier for you to see it; explaining it is so much more difficult. Anyway, our pond has become a mini-river and is now flooding. Our dock has "taken to the sea" (Michael, 2008) and we can no longer stand over the water. Should I say that we have already? Because we haven't. We watched the landlord's grandson adventure out onto the dock, but we have yet to muster up the courage. The water is still way too cold for an accidental swim. :)


Last night Michael and I went to see "The Forbidden Kingdom" with Jackie Chan and Jet Li. We had seen two different previews for this movie; one of the previews advertised it as a beautifully fought movie in a fantasy China while the other preview made it look like a "Harry Potter"-esque coming-of-age story of a teen from South Boston. Well! Two very different types of movie! But thankfully, they somehow mixed and blended and I have to say with full confidence that I absolutely loved it!

It was loosely based on Wu Ch'eng-en's folktale "Monkey." I cannot express my excitement at seeing Jet Li cast as the Monkey King and seriously, he played a monkey very well. Imagine an Asian Johnny Depp, if you will. I found Li's style to be similar to Depp's quirkiness.

Jackie Chan was funny, endearing and still a kick-ass fighter! He employs the Drunken Fist technique and considers wine his elixir. Although his style seems sloppy and even dizzy, all of his opponents end up on the ground. The fight scenes in this movie were so well choreographed and there were some moves that blew my mind, for sure. At points, I felt an incomplete person for not knowing kung-fu. :)

The South Boston kid was wrong. I mean, he had a fake ponytail that was so distracting, I couldn't stop making little comments to Michael about how much I hated it. Imagine Obi Wan's padawan ponytail in "The Phantom Menace" and then double the awfulness. There. You've pictured it. Except it's not even attached to Ewan McGregor. If that means anything to you...

I highly recommend this movie to anyone who wants to see a fun, fantasy-filled kung fu movie that admits a cast that bring their strength and spirit to the film. Although they are both out of their primes, Li and Chan are entertaining, amazing and admirable. Their skills in later years still mock the supposed agility of my youth. Be prepared for a couple "ah, geez" scenes with cheesy lines and even cheesier white-boy kung fu. They don't ruin the movie though, not by a long shot, so give it a go. You will certainly be entertained, at the least.

Overall Film Rating: 5.5
Kung Fu Film Rating: 8.5

No comments: